Wondering What to do with Those Autumn Leaves on Your Lawn?
Now that the weather is (slightly) cooling down, you’ll start to notice those autumn leaves consuming your yard. Although the colours can be beautiful, it’s important to keep them off your lawn as much as possible, not just for tidiness but for the health of your lawn.
Why keep autumn leaves off your lawn?
- Lawns need to ‘breathe’, and a layer of leaves can stop them from doing this.
- Thick layers of autumn leaves will increase the risk of pests and disease.
- A coating of leaves over your lawn will stop water, sunlight and air from reaching the soil and grass.
However, autumn leaves are extremely rich in essential minerals. To simply rake them up and throw them away would be a waste. Instead, you can re-purpose them in your garden and return these minerals into the soil. You could:
- Use them in your compost bin. Once they’ve been chopped up by a mower, leaves make a great base for compost bins. They can even make up 70% of the overall compost.
- Use them in your garden bed. Rake them in and then cover them with garden soil so they can break down and rejuvenate your garden.
- Prepare a veggie patch. Much like the garden bed, the leave will break down over time and provide the soil with rich nutrients that will give your veggie patch the best start.
Being able to repurpose autumn leaves while keeping your lawn healthy means you’ll have a vibrant yard going into winter. It also avoids unnecessary waste and dangerous piles of leaves that attract snakes.
Recommended for you...
For the best lawn in your street, choose a quality liquid lawn fertiliser like Exceed. This excellent product will provide a much quicker response from your grass than a granular form of fertiliser. The nutrients are almost immediately available when absorbed through the roots or leaves rather than through the soil.
Buy Turf Online is a trusted supplier of wholesale turf grass to a large number tradespeople across New South Wales.
If you need a wholesale turf supplier, Buy Turf Online has a proven track record of reliability and professionalism as well as competitive wholesale pricing.
As well as wholesale turf grass directly from our farm, Buy Turf Online offers a range of ancillary products and next day delivery for orders made before 10am.
For quality, LSA-assured turf grass, look no further than Buy Turf Online.
Whilst fertilising your lawn may seem easy, there are still some common mistakes that can become detrimental to your lawn care.