Wondering What to do with Those Autumn Leaves on Your Lawn?
Now that the weather is (slightly) cooling down, you’ll start to notice those autumn leaves consuming your yard. Although the colours can be beautiful, it’s important to keep them off your lawn as much as possible, not just for tidiness but for the health of your lawn.
Why keep autumn leaves off your lawn?
- Lawns need to ‘breathe’, and a layer of leaves can stop them from doing this.
- Thick layers of autumn leaves will increase the risk of pests and disease.
- A coating of leaves over your lawn will stop water, sunlight and air from reaching the soil and grass.
However, autumn leaves are extremely rich in essential minerals. To simply rake them up and throw them away would be a waste. Instead, you can re-purpose them in your garden and return these minerals into the soil. You could:
- Use them in your compost bin. Once they’ve been chopped up by a mower, leaves make a great base for compost bins. They can even make up 70% of the overall compost.
- Use them in your garden bed. Rake them in and then cover them with garden soil so they can break down and rejuvenate your garden.
- Prepare a veggie patch. Much like the garden bed, the leave will break down over time and provide the soil with rich nutrients that will give your veggie patch the best start.
Being able to repurpose autumn leaves while keeping your lawn healthy means you’ll have a vibrant yard going into winter. It also avoids unnecessary waste and dangerous piles of leaves that attract snakes.
Recommended for you...
The Secret to a Greener Lawn17MAY, 2019Lawn CareDIYIt isn’t always possible to keep your lawn the beautiful green colour we all love. Lawns will often start to brown during the summer heat or go slightly purple while hibernating in winter. Although it might not matter...read more
Top Ten Lawn Care Tips13MAY, 2019Lawn Care MaintenanceA healthy lawn is great for your home and household. A good-looking lawn improves the worth of a property while a green lawn can improve your psychological wellbeing. Not to mention the environmental and health...read more
DNA Certified Sir Walter Buffalo Lawn – A Step Above the Rest10MAY, 2019 DIY Maintenance Born and raised here in Australia, DNA Certified Sir Walter Buffalo Lawn is the perfect choice for any home. Its versatility means it can survive our sweltering summers and nippy...read more