It’s Time for You to Fix Those Bare Patches in Your Lawn
Spring is the best time to fix up any bare patches in your lawn. At such a nice time of year, your lawn will be able to quickly fill in patches or accept new turf. Either way, you will need to put in a bit of work to fix those hideous patches.
Compaction in your soil is the most likely culprit for causing the bare patches in your lawn. This means they are likely to appear on common paths through your yard. This may be to your pool, the clothesline or to the shed. If the soil is too compacted, air and nutrients won’t be able to get in and grass runners won’t be able to grow.
If the bare patch is smaller than an A4 sheet of paper, you can fix it without buying new turf.
- De-compact the soil with a chipping hoe or similar. This will reintroduce air and nutrients. Make sure at least 100mm in depth is de-compacted.
- Level the soil to match the ground around it. Adding a small layer of sandy top dressing can help with this and increase the softness of the soil.
- Fertilise every 8-9 weeks and water the area a couple of times a week to encourage thick growth.
This process takes a couple of months depending on the time of year. While it is still regrowing, try to avoid walking on the area.
The alternative is to lay new turf over the affected areas. This option is suitable for larger patches or for quicker results.
- Rake away any dead foliage in the bare area.
- De-compact the area as you would for the above method.
- Order the grass variety that matches your existing turf. If you need help identifying it, don’t be afraid to send us a picture and we can help.
- Cut the turf to the size you need and lay it over the patch.
- Water it in well and treat it as you would a new lawn. This includes not mowing the area until the roots have established.
Take advantage of this fine spring weather to fix up those bare patches and have a beautiful lawn for this summer.
Recommended for you...
For the best lawn in your street, choose a quality liquid lawn fertiliser like Exceed. This excellent product will provide a much quicker response from your grass than a granular form of fertiliser. The nutrients are almost immediately available when absorbed through the roots or leaves rather than through the soil.
Buy Turf Online is a trusted supplier of wholesale turf grass to a large number tradespeople across New South Wales.
If you need a wholesale turf supplier, Buy Turf Online has a proven track record of reliability and professionalism as well as competitive wholesale pricing.
As well as wholesale turf grass directly from our farm, Buy Turf Online offers a range of ancillary products and next day delivery for orders made before 10am.
For quality, LSA-assured turf grass, look no further than Buy Turf Online.
Whilst fertilising your lawn may seem easy, there are still some common mistakes that can become detrimental to your lawn care.